Letter to the People of the Vaal Triangle..
Calling all principals and school teachers, historians and politicians, born free youth and learners, fathers and mothers who lost loved ones, department heads in the educational sector, municipal representatives of the citizens, former MK and street activists, brave trade unionists who negotiated freedom in the eighties, former detainees and members to the SAPS, former Vaal Triangle administrators, people of the professions, the Vaal Ministers Solidarity Group...
Be informed, know your history, discover your identity, find your past and learn from it, enter the future with confidence...
1. Why did 93,000 learners go on strike in the Vaal Triangle in late 1984?
2. Why did the Sharpeville Six trial trigger disinvestment and sanctions on South Africa?
3. What was a Black Christmas?
4. Who were the Vaal Triangle people killed in the 1984-1985 uprising?
5. How were the “Vaal Monster” and the Cameroon gang link to the Vaal massacres?
6. Why did the Delmas Treason trial come from the Vaal Triangle?
7. Why did the Boipatong massacre delay the coming of the new South Africa?
8. Why was P W Botha welcomed to the Vaal Triangle in June 1987?
9. Why does the TRC report mention the Vaal Triangle so often?
10. Why did the South African army invade the Vaal townships?
11. Who was behind the hit squads and drive-by killings in the Vaal Triangle?
12. What was the famous Vaal Triangle rent boycott? In the eighties who targeted Vaal Triangle youth in schools, choirs, youth clubs and culture groups to persuade them to appeal to their parents to abandon the rent boycott?
13. Why was the Vaal Triangle rent boycott such a significant event in South African history
14. Why did white people not know what was happening in the Vaal townships in the eighties?
15. How did Vaal business people and teachers react to the uprising of 1984?
16. What were Kitskonstabels, Greenbeans, Amatshaka, dimpimpi, and Masole a Mahlatsi?
17. How did the Vaal Ministers Solidarity Group influence political change in the Vaal Triangle and beyond and why were so many Vaal clergy arrested during the eighties?
18 How did the churches expose internationally the brutality of the former SAP?
19 What was the churches’ Christian witness to dramatic social change in the Vaal Triangle?